Mark Twain quotes are about how humans behave. We have collected some of his famous quotes that are about life in general.
- Mark Twain Short Biography
- Mark Twain Famous Books
- 56 Mark Twain Quotes
- Famous Mark Twain Quotes
- Inspiring Mark Twain Quotes on Life
- Mark Twain Quotes to Live By
- Funny but meaningful Mark Twain Quotes
Who was Mark Twain?
Mark Twain is one of the most popular and well-known authors in American history. His real name was Samuel Langhorne Clemens, and he was born in Florida, Missouri in 1835.
When he was four, his family moved to Hannibal, Missouri, a small town on the Mississippi River where he would spend the rest of his childhood.
Twain always had a love for reading and writing, and he began working as a printer’s apprentice when he was just twelve years old.
Eventually, Twain became a riverboat pilot on the Mississippi, which was a dangerous and exciting job. He used his experiences on the river in his writing, and his first major work, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, was published in 1876. This book was an instant success, and Twain became a household name.
He went on to write many more beloved books, including The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, and The Prince and the Pauper.
Twain was not only a brilliant writer, but also a sharp critic of American society. He was known for his wit and humor, and he used his writing to comment on the issues of his day, such as slavery, racism, and inequality.
Though he wrote over a hundred years ago, his work is still relevant and loved by readers today. Twain died in 1910, at the age of 74.
Mark Twain Famous Books
Some of Twain’s most famous novels include The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Both of these books are set in the American South and are filled with humor and adventure.
Twain’s other novels include The Prince and the Pauper, Life on the Mississippi, and The Mysterious Stranger. These novels offer a different look at American life and offer more serious commentary on society.
No matter what type of book you’re looking for, there’s a good chance that Mark Twain has written something that will interest you. So why not pick up one of his novels today and see what all the fuss is about?
56 Mark Twain Quotes
- “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
2. “The secret to getting ahead is getting started.”
3. “You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.”
4. “The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”
5. “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.”
6. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.”
7. “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not absence of fear.”
8. “Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.”
9. “Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”
10. “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
11. “The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up.”
12. “Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.”
Famous Mark Twain Quotes
13. “Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life.”
14. “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
15. “The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.”
16. “Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.”
17. “It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”
18. “Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”
19. “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
20. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
21. “Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”
22. “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. ”
23. “I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.”
Inspiring Mark Twain Quotes on Life
24. “The secret of success is making your vocation your vacation.”
25. “Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile.”
26. “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”
27. “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.”
28. “The most interesting information come from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.”
29. “Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times.”
30. “‘Classic’–a book which people praise and don’t read.”
31. “With courage, you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity.”
32. “Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t.”
33. “Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.”
Mark Twain Quotes to Live By
34. “You can’t reason with your heart; it has its own laws, and thumps about things which the intellect scorns.”
35. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”
36. “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.”
37. “The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for.”
38. “To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.”
39. “Do the thing you fear most, and the death of fear is certain.”
40. “Education: the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty.”
41. “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”
42. “Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.”
43. “It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.”
Funny but meaningful Mark Twain Quotes
44. “All good things arrive unto them that wait and don’t die in the meantime.”
45. “It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
46. “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”
47. “When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
48. “The lack of money is the root of all evil.”
49. “A successful book is not made of what is in it, but what is left out of it.”
50. “When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain.”
51. “Don’t wake up a woman in love. Let her dream, so that she does not weep when she returns to her bitter reality.”
52. “If you don’t read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you’re misinformed.”
53. “What is the most rigorous law of our being? Growth.”
54. “A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.”
55. “Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.”
56. “No real gentleman will tell the naked truth in the presence of ladies.”
We hope you enjoyed our blog about Mark Twain quotes. These quotes provide a lot of great insight into the way we think and show that we have a lot in common with someone from the late 19th century. So what are you waiting for? Go out and read some of his works!