Agriculture is one of the oldest and most important practices in human history. It is the foundation of human civilization and has played a crucial role in shaping our societies and cultures. Despite its fundamental importance, agriculture is often overlooked and undervalued in modern times. However, there are many inspirational agriculture quotes that remind us of its significance and the hard work that goes into producing the food we eat.
These quotes not only celebrate the farmers and the agricultural industry, but also encourage us to appreciate and support the essential role that agriculture plays in our lives.
45 Agriculture Quotes
- “Agriculture for an honorable and high-minded man, is the best of all occupations and arts by which men procure the means of living.” – Xenophon
2. “Agriculture is at the core of the state.” – Dave Cook
3. “Agriculture was the first occupation of man, and as it embraces the whole earth, it is the foundation of all other industries.” – E. W. Stewart
4. “Without farmers, we would have no food.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
5. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
6. “An agricultural life is one eminently calculated for human happiness and human virtue.” – C. L. Allen
7. “Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.” – Thomas Jefferson
8. “Agriculture is a universal language.” – Brielle Wright
9. “Agriculture is the most healthful, most useful and most noble employment of man.” – President George Washington
10. “Life on a farm is a school of patience; you can’t hurry the crops or make an ox in two days.” – Henri Alain
Inspirational Agriculture Quotes
11. “A farmer is a magician who produces money from the mud.” – Amit Kalantri
12. “Agriculture engenders good sense, and good sense of an excellent kind.” ~ Joseph Joubert
13. “You cannot, for instance, sustainably protect the environment if the majority of the people are still in primitive agriculture leading to the encroachment of forest reserves.” – Yoweri Museveni
14. “The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways.” – John F. Kennedy
15. “One of the best things about being a farmer is being able to make your way of life the way you make your living.” – Jenni Tilton-Flood
16. “The importance of agriculture is pretty simple. People have to eat and people like to eat. Promoting agriculture is actually pretty easy.” – Sam Turner
17. “The best way to fight poverty is through agriculture.” – Solace Agha Fominyen
18. “Agriculture is the most healthful, most useful, and most noble employment of man.” – George Washington
19. “Our farmers deserve praise, not condemnation; and their efficiency should be cause for gratitude, not something for which they are penalized.” – John F. Kennedy
20. “A fertile soil alone does not carry agriculture to perfection.” – E. H. Derby
Inspirational Farming quotes
21. “Without farmers, ranchers and agriculture, food would not be on our plates.” – Animal Ag Alliance
22. “The discovery of agriculture was the first big step toward a civilized life.” – Arthur Keith
23. “Famine was the mark of a maturing agricultural society, the very badge of civilization.” – Richard Manning
24. “Every day is Earth Day when you work in agriculture.” – Jason Streubel
25. “Everything else can wait, agriculture can’t.” – Norman Borlaug
26. “The farmers who succeed are the ones who are going to incorporate new technologies.” – Stan Blade
27. “Family farms and ranches are the best stewards of the land. Our goal is to pass the land to the next generation of agricultural producers.” – Bruce Shultz
28. “Agriculture is the greatest and fundamentally the most important of our industries. The cities are but the branches of the tree of national life, the roots of which go deeply into the land. We all flourish or decline with the farmer.” – Bernard Baruch
29. “If you’re using first-class land for biofuels, then you’re competing with the growing of food. And so you’re actually spiking food prices by moving energy production into agriculture.” – Bill Gates
30. “Agriculture is a fundamental source of national prosperity.” – J. J. Mapes
31. “The farmer has to be an optimist or he wouldn’t still be a farmer.” – Will Rogers
32. “Agriculture is the archimedean lever which, though it does not move a world, tends to fill it with plenty, with moral health, and human happiness.” – J. Buel
33. “Farming is not just a job. It’s a responsibility and a privilege.” – Joel Watson
Famous Agriculture Quotes
34. “Africa must develop a vision to promote agriculture production in the next decade to feed the people.” – ailah Gifty Akita
35. “Farmers farm for the love of farming.” – Wendell Berry
36. “Agriculture not only gives riches to a nation, but the only riches she can call her own.” – Samuel Johnson
37. “The correlation between poverty and obesity can be traced to agricultural policies and subsidies.” – Michael Pollan
38. “Agriculture is such a rewarding community to be a part of, and will only continue to grow if we work together.” – Kristeena Patsche
39. “Just as the science and art of agriculture depend upon chemistry and botany, so the art of education depends upon physiology and psychology.” – Edward Thorndike
40. “I chose the agricultural life because it just feels right.” – Andrew Kilduff
41. “As agriculture becomes a smaller segment of the population, it’s all the more important to speak with a louder voice.” – Patrick Pfingsten
42. “If you eat, you are involved in agriculture.” – Wendell Berry
43. “Our farmers and ranchers have never faced as many problems as they do today with drought, range fires, high gas prices and an ever-tightening budget on agriculture subsidies.” – Michael McCaul
44. “Farming isn’t something that can be taught. Each plant tells its own story that has to be read repeatedly.” – Kelsey Timmerman
45. “The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.” – Masanobu Fukuoka
Additional Read: More Agricultural Quotes
Agriculture has been the backbone of human civilization for thousands of years, providing food, shelter, and other basic necessities of life. Despite its importance, agriculture is often undervalued and taken for granted in modern times. However, there are many inspirational stories and quotes about agriculture that remind us of the vital role it plays in our lives.
One of the most inspiring aspects of agriculture is the hard work and dedication of farmers. These men and women work long hours in all kinds of weather to grow crops and raise livestock. They face numerous challenges, including unpredictable weather, pests and diseases, and fluctuating market prices. Despite these obstacles, farmers remain committed to their work and take great pride in producing the food that feeds our communities.
The fruits of their labor can be seen in the bountiful harvests that fill our grocery stores and farmers’ markets. Each apple, ear of corn, and head of lettuce is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the farmers who grew them. These foods are not just a source of sustenance, but a symbol of the connection between the land and the people who tend it.
Agriculture also has a rich cultural history that is worth celebrating. For many indigenous communities around the world, agriculture is a sacred practice that is intertwined with their spiritual beliefs and traditions. The planting and harvesting of crops are seen as sacred rituals that connect people to the land and to their ancestors. In these communities, agriculture is not just a means of survival, but a way of life that honors the natural world and the cycle of life and death.
Agriculture is an inspiring and essential industry that deserves our respect and appreciation. It is a testament to the human spirit and our ability to work together with the natural world to create a better future for ourselves and our communities. Whether you are a farmer, a consumer, or simply someone who appreciates the beauty of the natural world, agriculture has something to offer us all.